A lot of businesses aren’t sure whether to invest in cardboard boxes or wooden shipping crates, and we’re here to let you know why crates are better!
Countless industries have relied upon wooden shipping crates for their shipping needs for centuries, but in recent years there have been many types of packaging that have come out. One of these packaging innovations is cardboard, and there’s no denying that cardboard is a cheap way to move products from Point A to Point B.
It’s understandable why many business leaders are attracted to using cardboard when they’re concerned about lowering overhead costs and increasing their profit margins, but the truth is that cardboard shipping containers have many drawbacks when compared to reliable wooden shipping crates!
Below we’ll be going over pros and cons associated with both cardboard boxes and wood shipping crates so you can have a more thorough understanding of these two popular options:
Pros & Cons of Cardboard
Cardboard is commonly made from materials like fiberboard or paperkraft paper, and it’s true that cardboard boxes have become popular amongst business leaders in recent years due to cheap costs.
The following are some of the benefits associated with cardboard packaging solutions:
- Lightweight: Cardboard boxes weigh a lot less as compared to wooden shipping containers, so you can end up saving on freight costs.
- Easily Accessible: Cardboard boxes are very easy to set up and prepare for shipping needs, and many times a business will only require a one-man team for the assembly process.
- Environmentally-Friendly: You can always develop more cardboard boxes with a certain amount of wood as compared to wooden crates, and cardboard also decomposes faster as well.
Some of the common disadvantages associated with cardboard include the following:
- Not Weatherproof: Cardboard is essentially a paper material, so it’ll end up absorbing water and other liquids when it’s exposed to elements during the shipping process.
- Not Good For Reuse: Cardboard will always be much more prone to wear and tear as compared to wooden crates, which is why they’re typically a one-time use shipping solution.
- Can’t Carry Heavy Loads: Cardboard isn’t capable of handling heavy shipments, and these boxes will always distort rather quickly when they’re put under too much stress.
- Little Protection: Fragile shipping items can be much more susceptible to damages during the shipping and handling stages when using cardboard boxes.
Pros & Cons of Wooden Crates
Wooden crates and shipping containers are sturdy boxes that are developed to withstand any and all transport conditions. Some of the common benefits associated with wooden crates include the following:
- Cost-Effective: Although wood may be more expensive as compared to cardboard, the overall durability of wooden crates will allow you to use them over and over again until the point that the price comparison is much more reasonable.
- Easy Repairs: When a wooden crate or shipping container gets damaged in any way, it’s typically very easy to conduct a repair and have the crate seemingly new again. This is something that you’ll never be able to do with cardboard.
- Your Products Are Well-Protected: Wood is a very strong material, so your wooden crates will always be more than capable of handling heavy loads and fully protecting your company’s products from damages. Rough handling and weather are some of the many factors that can inflict harm during the transport process, but having a sturdy shipping container can eliminate these risks.
- Recyclable & Reusable: Even if your wooden crate ends up becoming damaged to the point that it’s beyond repair, you’ll still be able to use this excess lumber for a whole variety of DIY purposes. Sometimes people will shred up their extra wooden crates and turn them into mulch, but there are countless options in terms of recycling your wood shipping containers.
- Saves You Storage Space: Wooden crates and shipping containers are capable of withstanding a tremendous amount of weight, so you’ll be able to stack them on top of one another in order to save as much space as you need for storage and other business purposes.
Although there are only a few drawbacks associated with wooden crates, the following are a few to keep in mind:
- Wooden Crates Need Treatment: Heat treatment is something that is usually a necessity when your business wants to utilize wooden shipping containers, and this is because it’s important to eliminate moisture levels and kill any and all potential pathogens.
- You’ll Need Lifting Equipment: Wooden crates are always really heavy and many times large, so your business will need a forklift to be able to safely move them around your facility.
Wood Simply Is Better Than Cardboard!
Although you’ll be able to save some upfront costs when you utilize cardboard boxes for your company’s shipping needs, in the long run you’ll end up spending more. Protecting your goods and considering your company’s long-term interests are a big reason why countless businesses look to The Pallet Guys for our high-quality wooden crates and shipping containers.
The strength and overall re-usability associated with wood makes it a more reliable shipping product as compared to cardboard, and you’ve certainly come to the right place online to find a great deal on these highly-coveted shipping options!
Protect Your Company’s Shipments With Wooden Crates From The Pallet Guys!
The Pallet Guys have supported all sorts of different businesses throughout the United States when it comes to their shipping needs, and our high-quality wooden crates are ready to go for you and your unique specifications.
Contact us online or call us at 832-895-7555 to get in touch with our industry specialists today and learn more about how our wooden crates can benefit your long-term shipping needs!